Monday, January 11, 2010

redwood grove




i crush berries sweet black

my tongue pressed palate

pours lip-staining rivlets

swirls by goosebump calves the coldfresh water,


My father wades in the waning day.


careful a current! laughing

i drop my too-big gloves

a rock. a stumble. a startle? a bird! a thorn. a thrash.

a guess. a grab. a bee!

throw bubbles i said

make claps i laughed.

a shout. a shove. a splash. a grinning gasp.



Vines bright green wrap tendrils of memory.

i see sour, see? green. see?

good enough for me.


plucking the ripe ovaries without permission

wet jeans wrap skin.


little fingers sneaking, don’t watch daddy!

he catches me snacking. but look over there

caught in those brambles a baby dove his leg is stuck!

a trill. a gray. a chance?

a clutch. a wing.

a ride. a splint. a hope. a life.

he’ll be ok now, won’t he?

Let’s go home


mud-cracked fingernails and angry red scratches

wash up and wipe the dirt off my chin,

smash the berries into a paste turns my fingers purple


Pour the sugar little sous chef

kneading ambition, flour clouds powder our smiles,

a feather. a father.

a pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment